This process is a little more complicated that the cyclic process. There
are many important processes occurring at the same time. It will be necessary
to run the animation several times and focus in on one step at a time.
Only then will it be possible to see them as a single process.
1) The non-cyclic process begins much in the same way as the cyclic
process. An electron is hit by a photon of light energy and moves to a
higher energy state. It is
then accepted by Ferredoxin.
2) The ferredoxin carries the excited electron to another
acceptor called NADP. When the NADP picks up the electron it becomes NADP-.
3) A molecule of water, H-O-H, splits into H+ and OH-.
The H+ is attracted to the NADP- and bonds to it forming NADPH2. The H2
is then released into the dark phase and the NADP can return to pick up
more excited electrons.
4) The OH- is carrying an extra electron which it releases
to the enzyme carrier system. When this happens to 4OH's, water and O2
are formed which exit through the leaf.
5) The new electron travles through the enzyme carrier
system in much the same way as in the cyclic process, making 2 molecules
of ATP along the way.
6) It is clear to see that the electron the arrives
back is not the same as the electron that started the process. This is
why the process is referred to as being non-cyclic.