Tom Crean set off on a second voyage with Scott in 1910 on a ship called the
Terra Nova.

This time they had competition from another group who came from Norway.
This group was led by Roald Amundsen.

The race was on to reach the South Pole! The ship was packed again and this time they also took along 19 ponies and Tom smuggled a rabbit on board!
They battled storms and a fierce hurricane on they way and two of the ponies were lost at sea. The courageous crew feared for there lives. Thankfully they survived.
When they reached the Antarctic, they set up camp at Hut Point.
This hut was built in case the ship was frozen again and they remained here for the winter months.

They then travelled 1200 kilometres across the snow and ice.
It would take them about five months to reach the pole.
The explorers buried food and supplies along the way for their journey home.
These food
depots would keep them alive on the return trip and they also lightened their load in the hazardous conditions.
The first part of the journey was across the ice barrier about 650 kms then up the Beardmore Glacier, which is very slippy and dangerous, for another 120kms.

The toughest journey was yet to face them, across the Polar Plateau for over 500kms to reach the Pole.

Although this time they had
ponies with them, the weather conditions were too extreme and so they eventually had to shoot the ponies to put them out of their misery and had to eat their meat afterwards. This made a change from the usual porridge like substance they normally had to eat.
This was a tough decision to make and deeply saddened the brave men.
Without dogs or ponies the men had to pull the heavy sleighs themselves and this slowed them down greatly.

Captain Scott had a group of twelve so far on this part of the journey and seven were to be sent back and five to continue on to the pole. Tom was one of the five and Lieutenant Teddy Evans was in charge. Tom was heart-broken. The weather got worse as the men said goodbye - this was the last time Scott ond his four companions were seen alive.
Captain Scott and his four companions made it to the south pole in January 1912.
However Amundsen had beaten the to it and they could see the Norwegian flag.
Scott and his men battled the tough climate conditions to return home but this proved too difficult and sadly all five men died on the return home.

Tom, Bill Lashly and Lt. Evans struggled on their way home. They were exhuasted and weak from lack of food. Lt Evans was also suffering from a disease called Scurvy, which comes form a lack of vitamin C in the body. Eventually, he became so weak he had to remain in a tent with Bill to take care of him, while Tom ventured on by himeself hoping to make it back to base in time to have his friends rescued. He somehow managed, weak as he was, to make it back (over 50kms) through the freezing temperatures and bitter winds and collapsed on arrival.
Due to this heroic venture he saved the lives of the two men and received the Albert Medal, a high award for bravery from King George V in England.
Activity Sheet 3

Back to top