This Park is located in Ballina, Co. Mayo. The River Moy Runs
through the woodland. There are many facilities for the visitor:
Car park, picnic site, forest and riverside walks. There are
up to 6 miles of natural forest pathways.
of Trail: There are two walks at Belleek. Trail One
has 32 stops and runs for 2 km.
Trail Two has 12 stops and stretches over 1km in length.
Trees: Norway spruce, Japanese larch, Scots pine, Monterey
pine, oak, beech, ash and yew trees.
Badgers, squirrels, foxes and the occasional otter live in the
Belleek is an old Irish place name meaning the forth-mouth of
the flagstone, from the flat surfaced rock in the head of the
Castle: The Gate Lodge is the entrance of the Castle
grounds. A family once lived in there and their job was to open
the gate at the Castle Road entrance to the Beleek Estate.
The castle was built of cut stone in 1831. The castle was the
property of the Knox-Gore family for over a hundred years. In
1908 the family sold it to the Beckett family of Ballina. Mr.
Beckett had a dream to turn the grounds into a racecourse and
a stud farm but died before his dream was realised. A man called
Marshall Doran bought the castle and turned it into a hotel.
We now know it was "Beleek Castle Hotel".